Skip to content

Kubica says ByKolles WEC drive is perfect for full-time race return

6de7d4e42a4e55cc5e75c677cd7bb29e

Kubica will contest a full campaign this year for the first time since the 2010 Formula 1 season, with his grand prix career cut short by injuries sustained in a rally accident in February ’11.

Having run in the World Rally Championship between 2012-15, the Pole started three GT events last year, and one more in January this year before announcing his comeback with ByKolles.

The Austrian outfit will be the only privateer LMP1 contender in WEC this year, and Kubica believes the absence of any pressure to fight for wins or the title will help.

“I was and am a racer, who in the past was used to working with great professionals,” he said.

“Today I’m starting a new path, and I must be able to adapt to different circumstances.

“In recent years I received many offers to race, but I always wanted at least one test prior to a race weekend before committing.

“I need to know that my body could cope, and I couldn’t say yes without having the possibility of doing well.

“I wanted to know if I would face any difficulties, and understand how to deal with any problems.

“Now I feel ready.”

The 32-year-old says he now feels like he would be physically capable of testing an F1 car again,with the mobility of Kubica’s injured right arm a major obstacle in single-seaters in the years immediately following his accident.

He says a test with ByKolles at Bahrain after the 2016 WEC finale represented a key breakthrough.

“After the test in Bahrain, I checked the steering angle, and there should be no problems,” he said.

“Today I am certain to be performing at 90%. And the remaining 10% is a margin that I can bridge.”

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: